Introduction: The importance of memorialization through companion urns
A difficult and painful experience, the loss of a loved one is something no one should have to endure. One way to honor and memorialize the memory of our loved ones is through the use of a companion urn, a type of cremation urn designed to hold the ashes of two people. Also known as dual urns or dual cremation urns, these urns allow for the memorialization of couples, siblings, or other close relationships.
Used for thousands of years by ancient civilizations to honor and protect the ashes of their loved ones, urns today serve a similar purpose, providing a resting place for the ashes of our loved ones to be remembered.
Types of companion urns:
- Traditional urns: Made of materials such as wood, stone, or metal, with a traditional or classic design, these urns can be personalized with engravings or inscriptions.
- Biodegradable urns: Made of materials designed to break down and return to the earth over time, these urns offer a more eco-friendly option for memorialization.
- Sculptural urns: More artistic in nature, made of materials such as glass, ceramic, or resin, and often with a modern or abstract design, these urns can be personalized with inscriptions or artwork.
- Keepsake urns: Smaller in size, designed to hold only a portion of the ashes, and often used to share the ashes of a loved one with multiple people or to keep a small amount in a special place.
Factors to consider when choosing a companion urn:
- Reflecting the personalities and interests of the deceased: Choose an urn with a design or theme meaningful to them, or personalize with engravings or inscriptions.
- Size: The urn must be able to hold the ashes of two people, so measure the space where it will be placed and choose an urn that will fit comfortably.
- Material: Durable and appropriate for the desired location, traditional materials such as wood, stone, and metal are classic choices, but modern options include glass, ceramic, and biodegradable materials.
Personalizing a companion urn:
Many people choose to personalize their companion urns with inscriptions or engravings as a way to honor the memory of the deceased and make the urn more meaningful and personal.